This digest is a weekly aggregation of urban issues, planning, and transportation news/articles from Canada, the US, and around the world. The links below are provided for informational purposes and as think/debate pieces. Their contents may not reflect the opinion of the curator.
Picks of the Week
1. Why Urbanists Need to Talk about Amazon
2. DenseCity Part 1: Where Toronto Builds Density and Why
3. New York City’s Protected Bike Lanes Have Actually Sped Up Its Car Traffic
4. How urban density dictates how we vote
5. Why children struggle to cross busy streets safely
6. Toronto’s housing crunch could be eased with laissez-faire urban planning
7. The 37 Megacities and Largest Cities: Demographia World Urban Areas: 2017
8. How the most diverse subway line in America forges a shared urban identity
9. Poop power: Waterloo will soon be home to pilot program that will turn dog waste into energy
10. The OMB will no longer handle smaller planning appeals. On a process that's frustrated many & what happens next
11. The US hit "peak shopping" in 2000. major implications for goods movement, parking, retail space
12. Queue jump lanes are quick to install and help prioritize buses ahead of car traffic
MaaS, AVs, EVs
13. Who's Calling the Shots On Autonomous Vehicles?
14. Uber’s C.E.O. Plays With [Apple] Fire
15. Cadillac Fairview announces plan to expand electric vehicle charging network
16. Autonomous Technology & Public Transportation: A Marriage Made in Heaven?
17. Apparently, the Charming Backstory of Pixar’s “Cars” is that Autonomous Vehicles Killed Off the Human Race
18. Elon Musk Says Tesla Will Unveil an Electric Semi Truck In September
19. New TransformTO climate change report imagines life in Toronto in 2050
20. Number and salaries of full-time teaching staff at Canadian universities, 2016/2017
Opportunities/New Projects/Developments [generally in the GTHA]
21. Woodbine Entertainment Group unveils master plan for the Woodbine development
a. Official release
b. Urban Toronto summary
22. In Ottawa: RioCan, Killam REITs create joint venture on large Gloucester City Centre development
23. Etobicoke Civic Centre: Diamond Schmitt Architects, MVVA
General Transportation/Urban Planning/Economics
24. Life expectancy in the US and in Europe on the subnational level
25. Kevin Milligan - Dare to dream, but do the math – Critique on Universal Basic Income
26. Is Everyone Focusing Too Much on Gentrification?
27. The New Urban Crisis: Cliff Notes version
28. Reason #1 to End Transit Subsidies: It’s the Most Costly Transportation We Have
29. If a city is on the Canadian side of Lake Erie or Lake Ontario, it's growing. If it's on the U.S. side, it's not
Toronto & Ontario
30. Population of the Toronto CMA, 1901 to 2016
31. Population of the Toronto CMA since 1821
32. ON gov has posted proposal to allow local housing managers to provide a portable housing benefit.
33. An Invitation to Dinner – Should the TTC and Metrolinx boards meet?
34. Toronto now using ramp numbering for exits on DVP. Helps motorists with navigation. Signs installed during DVP closure this past weekend
35. Prov/feds should fund housing, but don’t let anyone ever tell you the city can’t prevent TCHC closures on its own
36. List of buildings for Doors Open ’17. Highlights are new Downsview & York U subway stations
37. How to Better Understand the Housing Market – Part 1
38. Ontario Budget Highlights
Montreal & Quebec
39. Confronting key myths about Quebec’s childcare system
40. CCPPP Newsletter Special Edition: A message from Infrastructure and Communities Minister Amarjeet Sohi on the Canada Infrastructure Bank
41. The introduction and evolution of child benefits in Canada
42. Map of NYC showing where people lived before they became homeless
43. Silicon Valley commutes are hell, and the tech companies have to help fix them
44. Where Europe lives in high-resolution
45. Dutch 'Flo' Traffic System Lets Cyclists Avoid Stopping
46. 3 African countries chosen to test 1st malaria vaccine
47. The 5 largest companies are now all tech; each dominates its corner of the industry. How should they be handled?
48. Study suggests humans were in North America 100,000 years earlier than believed
49. There’s A War On Sugar. Is It Justified?