This digest is a weekly aggregation of urban issues, planning, and transportation news/articles from Canada, the US, and around the world. The links below are provided for informational purposes and as think/debate pieces. Their contents may not reflect the opinion of the curator.
Picks of the Week
1. The Newest TTC Map: On Paper vs. Reality Distortion
2. People who think support for walking and biking is elitist needs to look at this chart.
3. Wowza - GIF: The Evolution of Metro Systems in China, 1990–2020
4. Homeownership rates in “world class” cities, from the new CANCEA housing report.
5. The myth of superhuman AI
6. Transportist – On very fast trains
7. Inside the Box - People don’t actually like creativity.
8. The bonfire of the vanities that is GTA transit planning has become even more ridiculous
9. Toronto needs a thorough overview of and strategy for the many rapid transit projects on its plate
10. Which states (and provinces) have the best championship fortune
MaaS, AVs, and EVs
11. Ford is panicking in self-driving cars because Alphabet is way ahead
12. Uber Starts Charging What It Thinks You’re Willing to Pay
13. Ford replaces CEO Mark Fields with autonomous driving exec
14. Pittsburgh Welcomed Uber’s Driverless Car Experiment. Not Anymore. (thx Josh Curley)
15. Uber’s Latest Feature Reinvents the Wheels on the Bus
16. High Speed Rail in Ontario: Special Advisor’s Final Report
17. City's latest growth data report now online
18. City of Toronto Planning – Annual Report 2016
Opportunities/New Projects/Developments [generally in the GTHA]
19. Audacious Proposal Envisions Towers Beside Rail Deck Park
20. Why high speed rail will work in southern Ontario
General Transportation/Urban Planning/Economics
21. THE WORLD IS RUNNING OUT OF SAND
Toronto & Ontario
22. Toronto restaurant real estate prices, by the foot
23. What Toronto's downtown looked like 40 years ago (there were a lot of parking lots). High def
24. TTC monthly passes now available on Presto cards
25. New stats show 2.8M rode UPX last year but Metrolinx won't yet say how much public is subsidizing each ride
26. $68 million in TTC assets sat idle in 2016 because of chronic parts shortage, says city's Auditor General.
Montreal & Quebec
27. Montreal Metro: Map Distances vs. Geographic Distances
28. New York MTA Proposes 6-Point Plan to Reduce Subway Headaches
29. 50-State Property Tax Comparison Study - For Taxes Paid in 2016
30. Donald Trump considers congestion pricing for American cities
31. How to identify that light in the sky