This digest is a weekly aggregation of urban issues, planning, and transportation news/articles from Canada, the US, and around the world. The links below are provided for informational purposes and as think/debate pieces. Their contents may not reflect the opinion of the curator.
Picks of the Week
1. What the stunning new park at Ontario Place looks like
2. The Science Is Clear: More Highways Equals More Traffic. Why Are DOTs Still Ignoring It?
3. Does Canada need a federal infrastructure agency?
4. Take a look at the transformation of Toronto's skyline from 1880 to today
5. Pluto might be a planet again. Let’s talk about why this matters.
6. Toronto to move forward with proposed rules on Airbnb-style rentals
7. Why Looking at Crash Stats Alone Doesn’t Tell the Whole Story About Pedestrian Safety
8. Excellent overview of the Infrastructure Bank by Senator Sabi Marwah, former Vice-Chair and COO of Scotiabank
9. The case for bicycles' inevitable triumph over cars
10. It was all just hype: China’s ‘straddling bus’ dream reaches end of the line with test site to be dismantled
11. OP-ED: Will Canadian Infrastructure Bank lead to more privatization?
12. Mario Kart Tours Turn Heads in Japan
MaaS, AVs, and EVs
13. Stop everything! Silicon Valley just invented... the bus
14. Who Should Replace Travis Kalanick, and Why?
15. Ministry review of the Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Boulevard East reconfiguration environmental assessment
Opportunities/New Projects/Developments [generally in the GTHA]
16. Ontario begins GO rail electrification assessment process
17. New Gardiner Off-Ramp Takes Shape Following Teardown
18. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Starting To Look Like It's a Thing
19. Construction begins on new bus terminal at Union Station
20. Proposed megaproject at Bloor-Dundas aims to build ‘urban neighbourhood’
21. Waterfront Toronto
a. Union Station Rail Corridor Project (for information)
b. Gardiner East Public Realm Plan
General Transportation/Urban Planning/Economics
22. Downzoning won’t make housing cheaper
23. Overcoming Density Opponents by Listening to Them
24. You can’t judge housing affordability without knowing transportation costs
25. It's Time to Change How We Measure Affordable Housing
Toronto & Ontario
26. Mayor Tory announces the Toronto “Smart Streets Plan”
27. NY Times - What Toronto’s amazing food can tell us about the country’s resistance to far-right populism.
28. Toronto vacant homes tax could be hard to enforce, city officials say
29. Taxis should get special treatment under King St. pilot project, cab companies say
30. Did you know that all of Toronto's bike lanes are on a Google map?
31. The TorontolLife crackhouse dad wrote a 10,000 word rebuttal and it's really something
32. Ontario Capping Rent Increases at 1.8 Per Cent for Tenants in 2018
33. New CATSA airport screening process lets multiple people load up bins at once. Means faster ones can then leapfrog
34. Edmonton unveils draft plan to overhaul city’s entire transit network
35. In New York City, Bike Share Is Faster Than Cabs When It Matters
36. Los Angeles Metro to Go Fully Electric by 2030
37. Rural America Is Stranded in the Dial-Up Age
38. Chinese bike-share firm closes after 90 per cent of cycles stolen
39. Hubble Captures Massive Dead Disk Galaxy that Challenges Theories of Galaxy Evolution
40. A healthy workplace "isn’t just about pushing people to maximum productivity all the time." Evolving office design
41. Miss those choose-your-own-adventure books? Netflix is bringing it back in their new interactive experiment.
42. Your vitamin D tests and supplements are probably a waste of money